1/3 cup yellow cornmeal
2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour, in all
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 ½ teaspoon salt
1 ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
¾ teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 cup milk
2 cups flour
2 ½ pounds chicken wings, separated into segment, reserve tips for another use.
Jalapeno-Cilantro Dipping Sauce (recipe follows)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly brush or spray a cookie sheet with the vegetable oil.
- In a medium bowl, combine the cornmeal, 1/3 cup of the flour, cumin, salt, and black and cayenne peppers.
- In a small bowl whisk together the egg and milk to form a milk wash.
- Place the remaining 2 cups of flour in a small bowl.
- 3 or 4 at a time toss the chicken wings into the flour, then the milk wash, finally into the seasoned corn meal. Shake off the excess coating and arrange the wing segments, without crowding them, in the oiled pan.
- Set the pan in the preheated oven and bake the wings, turning once at the halfway point, for 30 to 40 minutes or until they are crisp and evenly brown. Serve hot with Jalapeno-Cilantro Dipping Sauce.
Jalapeno-Cilantro Dipping Sauce
1 cup chopped green onions
3-4 fresh jalapenos, stemmed and seeded
1 tablespoon salt
2 ½ cups sour cream
- In a food processor, combine the cilantro, green onions, jalapenos, and salt and process, stopping to scrape down the sides of the work-bowl, until smooth. Add the sour cream and process until well blended.
- Refrigerate, covered, until serving time.