2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 ½ cups diced onion
1 cup diced red bell pepper
2 tablespoons chopped fresh garlic
2 jalapenos, stemmed, seeded, and chopped or to taste
1 medium zucchini, cut into small dice
1 medium yellow squash, cut into small dice
2 cups fresh corn (about 3 ears)
1 ½ pounds assorted mushrooms, portobello, shiitake, cremini, etc., stemmed, wiped clean and sliced
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 ½ teaspoon salt
1 ½ teaspoon cocoa powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon cayenne
4 cups tomatoes, peeled and diced
4 cups cooked black beans, or canned beans, rinsed and drained
1-15 ounce can tomato sauce
1 cup vegetable stock or beer
½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
Cooked brown rice, sour cream or yogurt, diced avocado, grated cheddar cheese, chopped green onion or whatever!!!
1. In a large, heavy pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions, bell pepper, garlic, and jalapenos, and cook, stirring, until soft, about 3 minutes.
2. Add the zucchini, corn, and mushrooms, and cook, stirring, until soft and the vegetables give off a little of their liquid and start to brown around the edges, about 6 minutes.
3. Add the chili powder, cumin, salt, cocoa, cinnamon and cayenne, and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
4. Add the tomatoes and stir well.
7. Remove from the heat and stir in the cilantro. Adjust the seasoning, to taste.
8. To serve, place 1/4 cup of brown rice in the bottom of each bowl. Ladle the chili into the bowls over the rice. Top with your favorite garnishes. Feel good!