Friday, March 11 2011 1:41 AM EST2011-03-11 06:41:07 GMT
There's a treatment facility in New Mexico which helps priest recover from different types of addictions and is infamous for treating sexually abusive priests. Father Edward Fitz-Henry, now accused of sexual abuse, spent time at the facility know as the Servants of the Paraclete in 1992. Right now he's on administrative leave from his work at San Juan Bautista Mission while facing allegations about abusing a now 21-year old man back in 2005.More >>
Tuesday, February 22 2011 12:32 PM EST2011-02-22 17:32:53 GMT
Attorney Vince Finaldi said the sex abuse victim did move from Madonna Del Sasso to San Juan Bautista Mission for mass. However, he says that it wasn't because of Father Fitz-Henry but for the Latin Mass.More >>
Sunday, February 20 2011 9:27 PM EST2011-02-21 02:27:11 GMT
Parishioners at San Juan Bautista Mission are bothered by how they were given the news about the sexual abuse allegations against their priest, Father Edward Fitz-Henry. They say a lawyer stood up in mass last Sunday and announced it infront of everyone.More >>
Alleged Sexual Abuse Victim Files Lawsuit Against PriestMore>>
Friday, March 11 2011 1:40 AM EST2011-03-11 06:40:38 GMT
Central Coast News has learned of some allegations of sexual abuse against a Central Coast priest who has been with the Diocese of Monterey for over 20 years. It all started on January 7th, when an alleged victim wrote a letter to the Diocese of Monterey claiming Father Edward Fitz-Henry sexually abused him or her while he was a priest at Madonna Del Sasso Catholic Church.More >>
SALINAS, Calif. - On Tuesday, the alleged victim filed a lawsuit against father Edward Fitz-Henry for sexual abuse. The 21-year-old filed a 44 page lawsuit against Father Fitz-Henry 6 years after the supposed incident happened in late 2005. The victim claims that rumors at the Madonna Del Sasso Church in Salinas triggered him to come forward.
The Diocese of Monterey said they brought in an independent investigator to look into the Finaldi's client's allegation and don't believe that it is credible.
"He completely denies ever having any inappropriate contact with any sort with this young man. He's shocked by these allegations. He has no idea what the basis is. I suppose they're trying to get a lot of money out of it," said Carolyn Ingalls-Keeley, Fitz-Henry's attorney.
The victim's Attorney Vince Finaldi said Father Fitz-Henry repeatedly abused the boy when he was 14. "Father Fitz-Henry would allegedly sexually abuse him by rubbing on him, by talking to him about sexual issues during confession, by putting his hands down his pants, by rubbing up against him with an erection," said Finaldi.
The diocese is not taking any chances and took quick action, suspending Fitz-Henry from serving at his current church in San Benito County.
At the San Juan Bautista Mission, parishioners said Father Fitz-Henry was well liked in the community. They didn't want to go on camera, but said these allegations are hard to believe. A number of people supported father Fitz-Henry on our website, even questioning the alleged victim, pointing out past run-ins with police. Police have investigated the alleged victim before on criminal charges, but are not identifying him or those allegations to protect his identity.
Salinas police have opened their own investigation into the matter but no charges have been filed. According to the diocese, during their investigation they found out about another alleged sexual abuse incident against Fitz-Henry that happened 20 years ago that does appear to be credible.
Written by Susanne Brunner and Kiki Jones, Central Coast News
Thursday, December 12 2013 2:25 AM EST2013-12-12 07:25:54 GMT
SANTA BARBARA, Calif. - Central Coast News has learned the victim of last Friday's hit-and-run accident in Santa Barbara has died from her injuries.27-year-old Mallory Rae Dies had been hospitalized sinceMore >>
SANTA BARBARA, Calif. - Central Coast News has learned the victim of last Friday's hit-and-run accident in Santa Barbara has died from her injuries.More >>
Thursday, December 12 2013 1:34 AM EST2013-12-12 06:34:56 GMT
SANTA MARIA - Timothy McNally entered Santa Maria Superior Court Wednesday morning hoping to get a third jury trial in the shooting death of Victorville Federal Prison guard Gary Bent inside a LompocMore >>
Timothy McNally was seeking third jury trial in shooting death of fellow prison guard Gary Bent.More >>
Thursday, December 12 2013 1:32 AM EST2013-12-12 06:32:25 GMT
SANTA BARBARA COUNTY - The Central Coast has lost a leading voice in the ongoing debate about pollution and offshore oil drilling. Bruce Allen, co-founder of SOS California, or "Stop Oil Seeps" California hasMore >>
Bruce Allen advocated scientific evidence to show harm from natural oil seeps along California coast.
Thursday, December 12 2013 1:29 AM EST2013-12-12 06:29:32 GMT
NIPOMO, Calif. - Authorities have identified the body found in a drainage ditch in rural Nipomo as 26-year-old Silvestre Montalban Lopez of Guerrero, Mexico.San Luis Obispo County Sheriff's deputies foundMore >>
NIPOMO, Calif. - Authorities have identified the body found in a drainage ditch in rural Nipomo as 26-year-old Silvestre Montalban Lopez of Guerrero, Mexico.More >>