8 ounces unsweetened chocolate
4 cups granulate sugar
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups strong coffee (available at all gas stations) or dissolve 10 teaspoons instant coffee in 2 cups hot water
1 cup sour cream
1 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs, lightly beaten
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease three 10 inch spring form or cake pans.
- Melt the chocolate in the top of a double boiler placed over simmering water, then turn off the heat.
- Sift the sugar, flour, baking soda, and salt together into a large mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, blend the hot coffee, sour cream and vegetable oil with a whisk.
- With the mixer on low speed, add the coffee mixture in a stream to the dry ingredients and mix until blended. Stop the mixer to scrape the bowl several times with a rubber spatula.
- Add the eggs and mix until smooth. Add the chocolate mixture and mix until the batter is uniform in color.
- Divide the batter evenly between the prepared pans and place them in the oven. Bake until the cake springs back to the touch and a tester inserted in the center comes out clean (do not wait until a crust forms) (a little under baked = fudgy!) about 30-35 minutes. Cool the layers before frosting. Frost between each layer then cover the sides and top. Enjoy!
MOCHA ICING RECIPE
1 ½ pounds butter, at room temperature
9 cups powdered sugar (about 3 pounds)
1 cup heavy cream
6 tablespoons instant coffee powder or crystals
4 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
4 teaspoons vanilla extract
½ teaspoon salt
- Cream the butter in inn a large bowl of an electric mixer on high speed until very creamy. Gradually add the sugar and beat until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, combine the cream with the remaining ingredients, stirring until thoroughly dissolved. Add cream mixture to the butter mixture. Beat until well blended.