GOLETA, Calif. - A candle left unattended in an attic is the cause of Tuesday's fire in Goleta. Santa Barbara County Fire responded to a two story structure fire in Goleta Tuesday afternoon. The call came in around 2:41pm, that's when fire responded to 209 Hillview Drive in Goleta.
After putting out the fire, Santa Barbara County Fire issued the following report about the cause:
The Santa Barbara County Fire Department investigators have determined that the cause of the residential structure fire that occurred at 209 Hillview Drive in Goleta on November 27, 2012 was a result of a candle. Candles are safe products, but unless they are used safely and watched carefully, they can lead to an accidental fire. The Santa Barbara County Fire Department urges people to be careful when burning candles, and to follow these basic safety tips:
• Extinguish all candles when leaving a room or before going to sleep.
• Keep burning candles at least 12 inches away from furniture, drapes, bedding,
carpets, books, paper, flammable decorations, etc.
• Keep candles out of the reach of children and pets.
• Always use a sturdy candleholder specifically designed for candle use.
• Be sure the candleholder is placed on a stable, heat-resistant surface.
• Always burn candles in a well-ventilated room.
• Don't burn a candle all the way down. Extinguish the flame if it comes too close
to the holder or container.
• Never touch or move a burning candle.
• Place burning candles at least three inches apart from one another.
• Use a candle snuffer to extinguish a candle. It's the safest way to prevent hot wax
• Be very careful if using candles during a power outage. Flashlights and other
battery-powered lights are safer sources of light during a power failure.
• Make sure a candle is completely extinguished and the wick ember is no longer
glowing before leaving the room.
• Never use a candle as a night light.
Most fires involving candles are due to people's inattention to basic fire safety or the misuse of candles. The Santa Barbara County Fire Department reminds people that a candle is an open flame that can easily ignite anything that can burn.
No other information will be released concerning the investigation.
Wednesday, June 5 2013 5:40 PM EDT2013-06-05 21:40:27 GMT
Dear Jon - Tina wrote to me and asked, "Dear Jon, who paid for Tibor Karsai's RV, was it taxpayer money?" We went to the Santa Barbara County Sheriff's Department to get some answers. This whole TiborMore >>
Dear Jon - Tina wrote to me and asked, "Dear Jon, who paid for Tibor Karsai's RV, was it taxpayer money?" We went to the Santa Barbara County Sheriff's Department to get some answers. More >>
Wednesday, June 19 2013 12:35 AM EDT2013-06-19 04:35:59 GMT
Photo Courtesy: Cinda Price
LOMPOC, Calif.- A stone pine tree collapsed Tuesday afternoon on the 200 block of South H Street crushing a parked truck. Crews believe strong winds most likely caused the tree to fall. FortunatelyMore >>
LOMPOC, Calif.- A stone pine tree collapsed Tuesday afternoon on the 200 block of South H Street crushing a parked truck.More >>