WATSONVILLE, Calif. -- Police and firefighters responded to a call from a home on Jeanette Way about a man not breathing. The victim was pronounced dead after paramedics arrived.
Police said it happened Wedndesday night around 10:15 p.m. Officers said they found a 21-year old victim dead in a detached room behind a home on Jeanette Way.
Investigators said a victim and another 21-year old man shared the same room and brought a charcoal burning barbecue grill inside the room to keep them warm.
Police said the first man died sometime during the night. Officers said the second man survived but had carbon monoxide poisoning. The second victim was taken to the hospital for treatment.
Watsonville police said the coroner will perform an autopsy of the man who died. Investigators suspect the man died from carbon monoxide poisoning.
Anyone with further information should call (831) 768-3352 or (831) 768-3544.