According to National Geographic, the average American lifestyle is kept afloat by using 2,000 gallons of water a day.
About 5% of that is run through toilets, taps and garden hoses in the home. The other 95% used is from the food people eat, energy you use, products you buy and services people rely on.
Find out how much water is used for your daily routine HERE
If you want to change the way you use water, here are some tips on how you can help conserve:
- Take showers instead of baths because it could take up to 36-70 gallons to fill a bathtub
- Use low-flow showerheads and save up to 15 gallons of water for a 10 minute shower
- Shut off the water while brushing your teeth or cleaning/shaving your face
To calculate your water footprint, GO HERE
National Geographic article:
Water footprint by nation, HERE